Search Can't Beat the Meat ----->
. .

Monday, July 12, 2010

Hair of the Dog - Detroit Beer Co., Detroit, MI


Shadowed by Comerica Park and Ford Field in the heart of the long famous (and now possibly defunct) Motown lies the Detroit Beer Co. Started in 2003, this establishment offers good times, good sports (sometimes. In the 'D' you never know.), tasty microbrews, and of course pub food. My brother-in-law was in town and I wanted to show him the heart of Detroit and I was hungry, as usual. So we made a stop at the Beer Co. and I was introduced to a burger dubbed Hair of the Dog.

First of all, the name is at once repulsing and intriguing. It actually makes me think that Uncle Ted (Ted Nugent to those of you not from Michigan) came up with the name. I can in no way figure out why it is named such, but it is a pretty sweet name. The line up on the Hair of the Dog is as such: 1/2 of burger, smoked bacon, and a PERFECTLY fried over-easy egg. Notice the PERFECTLY fried over-easy egg. Now when I say perfectly fried I mean the egg was just a little brown and crispy on the eggs, the white was totally cooked (no 'runnies'), and the yolk was completely liquid. A breakfast dream! But I believe that is where this burger loses some points. The burger was indeed good, but nothing great. Cooked a little past medium-rare, but nothing I couldn't stomach. The bacon was thick, crispy, and delicious. So here I am eating the burger and enjoying it quite a bit. I actually pretty neutral on the eggs on burgers. Normally they don't really add much except for some texture and extra protein. But the Hair of the Dog and it's perfectly fried egg was different. I took a bite of my then lunch and was instantly transported to a campfire breakfast?! Over-easy eggs with lots of yolk and delicious bacon. Huh? Confusing, I know. Everything was good, but the flavors of breakfast were just a bit too strong for the burger-fare I was enjoying up to that point. Don't get me wrong, I would eat the Hair of the Dog again. Maybe next time it will be brunch though.

Hair of the Dog - 6/10 ******

Other perks of the Detroit Beer Co.: Good microbrews (I had the Local 1529 IPA and was quite pleased), awesome criss-cut fries, and a cool location with a building in downtown Detroit very close to Comerica Park and Ford Field.

No comments: